Instructors Teaching Courses Included In the Trinity Course Evaluation Process
Course instructors should encourage students to complete the course evaluation form for their class. This process covers courses taught in Trinity College departments and programs, the Marine Lab, and Study Abroad (global Education).
When a graduate level course has one or more undergraduates enrolled, the course is included for evaluation by the Office of Assessment - Trinity College. For these courses, it is highly recommended that both the undergraduate and graduate level students complete the course evaluation forms in DukeHub. Doing so will provide a more complete picture of the course and provide more comprehensive data for use in our assessment and reporting process.
Course evaluations are collected for all classes and such data is made available to the department chair and Director of Undergraduate Study. Additionally, faculty can choose whether their course evaluations are viewable by Duke students through the Student Accessable Course Evaluation System, or SACES. At this time only numerical results are shared in SACES. Written comments are not included in the SACES reports.
To update the visibility status of your course evaluation results, submit the following web form: SACES Selection
Faculty Responsibilities for Course Evaluations
- Ask students to complete a course evaluation for your class using DukeHub. While we ask that you explain the process to students and encourage them to participate, you will not have to send out any web links or forms electronically.
- Whenever possible, we recommend that you ask students to bring a laptop or tablet to class to complete the evaluation at a scheduled time. Return rates are highest when faculty schedule class time for this important activity. If that is not possible, you should instruct students to visit DukeHub to complete the evaluation as soon as possible.
- Students will be informed of the online evaluation process at various points in the term. The forms are straight-forward, but if necessary, instructions for students are available on the Office of Assessment website. You are welcome to print, download, or forward these instructions as you wish.
DOWNLOAD: Student instructions (pdf).
Monitor Evaluation Return Rate
- Log-in to DukeHub, as you usually do,using your Duke NetID and passcode.
Note: Duke firewall and using VPN: The new reporting platform (Tsbleau Software) resides behind Duke’s firewall. This policy decision was made by the IT Security Office. Faculty who attempt to access reports in Tableau while away from campus (that is, not on the Duke network) will be blocked. If you expect to access your reports while off campus, we urge you to set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) in advance. Instructions are availableon the OIT website. Visit oit.duke.edu, and search for VPN.
- You will see your usual Faculty Center homepage, with the addition of a new column: Evaluations Complete. The values under Evaluations Complete represent the number of forms submitted by students out of the total enrollment for the course (both across all crosslists).
View Course Evaluation Reports in Tableau
- Quick Start Guide - Course Evaluation Reports in Tableau
- Comprehensive Users Guide - Course Evaluation Reports in Tableau
For help accessing the Instructor Course Description Form in DukeHub, please contact the OIT Help Desk at 919-684-2200, option 2.
For questions pertaining to the course evaluation process generally, please contact the DUS or undergraduate staff assistant in your department or program.