Course instructors are asked to encourage your students to visit to complete the course evaluation form for your classes. This process covers courses taught in Trinity College departments and programs, the Marine Lab, Study Abroad (global Education) and Nicholas School for the Environment graduate level courses eligible for evaluation.
When a graduate level course has one or more undergraduates enrolled, the course is included for evaluation by the Office of Assessment - Trinity College. For these courses, it is highly recommended that both the undergraduate and graduate level students complete the course evaluation forms in DukeHub. Doing so will provide a more complete picture of the course and provide more comprehensive data for use in our assessment and reporting process.
Faculty Opt In/Opt Out
Course evaluations are collected for all classes and such data is made available to the department chair and Director of Undergraduate Study. However, faculty can choose whether their course evaluations are viewable by Duke students.
To change the visibility status of your course evaluation results, submit the following web form: http://bit.ly/SACES_change.
Faculty Responsibilities for Course Evaluations
- Ask students to complete a course evaluation for your class using DukeHub. While we ask that you explain the process to students and encourage them to participate, you will not have to send out any web links or forms electronically.
- Whenever possible, we recommend that you ask students to bring a laptop or tablet to class to complete the evaluation at a scheduled time. Return rates are highest when faculty schedule class time for this important activity. If that is not possible, you should instruct students to visit DukeHub to complete the evaluation as soon as possible.
- Students will be informed of the online evaluation process at various points in the term. The forms are straight-forward, but if necessary, instructions for students are available on the Office of Assessment website. You are welcome to print, download, or forward these instructions as you wish.
DOWNLOAD: Student instructions (pdf).
Monitor Evaluation Return Rate and Complete Instructor Course Description Form
- Log-in to DukeHub, as you usually do,using your Duke NetID and passcode.
Note: Duke firewall and using VPN: The new reporting platform (Tsbleau Software) resides behind Duke’s firewall. This policy decision was made by the IT Security Office. Faculty who attempt to access reports in Tableau while away from campus (that is, not on the Duke network) will be blocked. If you expect to access your reports while off campus, we urge you to set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) in advance. Instructions are availableon the OIT website. Visit oit.duke.edu, and search for VPN.
- You will see your usual Faculty Center homepage, with the addition of several columns: Evaluations Complete, and Evaluation. The values under Evaluations Complete represent the number of forms submitted by students out of the total enrollment for the course (both across all crosslists).
- Under the Evaluation column, click on the link to open up the questionnaire. This link will bring you to an online version of the Instructor Course Description Form. You will see that the content of the description form is exactly the same as the established pen/paper form.
NOTE: We are collecting only one Instructor Course Description Form submission for each course. If your class has multiple instructors, only one instructor (the primary instructor as indicated in DukeHub) will have access to this online questionnaire. If you are team-teaching this term and do not have access to the questionnaire, please check with your colleague. Also, in the event that your course has multiple cross-lists, the form is available only for one section. This is to prevent multiple submissions of the Instructor Course Description Form.
- On Page 1 of the Instructor Course Description Form, indicate expectations of time spent outside of class, your opt-in/opt-out selection for the Student Accessible Course Evaluation System (SACES), and your characterization of the course with respect to the Trinity College learning objectives. When complete, click Next or Save.
- On Page 2 of the form, the Confirmation page (aka, the Summary page) itemizes your responses to the entire evaluation form. The Edit tool on the right side of the screen will bring you back to the questionnaire, if you wish to make any changes. If not, please select Confirm Responses at the top or bottom of the form.
View Course Evaluation Reports in Tableau
- Quick Start Guide - Course Evaluation Reports in Tableau
- Comprehensive Users Guide - Course Evaluation Reports in Tableau
For help accessing the Instructor Course Description Form in DukeHub, please contact the OIT Help Desk at 919-684-2200, option 2.
For questions pertaining to the course evaluation process generally, please contact the DUS or undergraduate staff assistant in your department or program.